Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The Zips and the Roos

Over the summer I went on college visits to get a better feel for some of the schools you or other students may consider. My parents live in Canton, Ohio so Akron is just a short drive from their house so the University of Akron was early on the visit list. The University of Akron has 2 mascot nicknames - the Zips and the Roos.

I have to admit - I was a bit surprised by my visit. I didn't think that I was going to Akron with any preconceived ideas of what the school would be like, but I was impressed with how "new" the campus seemed. They have been working on updating a lot of the different campus areas and have more planned for the future. They brag about having one of the most wireless campuses in the country which is a plus. I liked seeing their rec center, but have a hard time imagining swimming in the pool or relaxing on the lazy river with the windows above and knowing that random tours of potential tours could soon appear and stare at you while the tour guide talks about the facility. We didn't get to go into the Honors Dorms, but they sounded amazing. I really would have liked to have seen one. The other thing that I thought was interesting was that our tour guide was telling one of the students on the tour who is looking at Engineering that the Engineering/ Science building has underground tunnels so that they don't have to venture out in the cold. The guide was definitely jealous of that aspect! :-)

I have a picture of the outside of the Honors Dorm and I also have a picture of me (since I beg all of you to take pictures when you are out on visits) in front of the admissions building - and yes, I will admit that I was asking my mom (who is also a high school counselor and went with me on the visit) to hurry up and take the picture. LOL! (I don't know if any of you will be impressed by this, but I am excited that I figured out how to post multiple pictures on the site and to move them into the text! :-) I know, how pathetic... but the simple things make me happy!)










Also, before I close I wanted to let you know that the Dispatch ran a story in the paper today about student loans and while I am confident most of you do not read the Dispatch and probably won't be interested in this story at this time - some day down the road as you are paying off school loans for college you will be more interested in the content so I am passing it along.

No comments: