Thursday, September 6, 2007

Newsworthy Notes


Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday. I think I jinxed myself by saying that I loved how fast 4 day weeks fly past because this week has felt long. For whatever reason today was the toughest one of the week for me to get up and so all day I have been looking forward to going to sleep early tonight, but then I remembered that the NFL games kick off tonight and now I am tempted to stay up and watch the game… we’ll see. (Since I am posting this after halftime you can see that going to sleep early isn’t happening…LOL!)

I have lots of random tidbits for you today so sorry if this seems to jump around a bit…

In addition to the opportunity to travel to schools and learn about what they have to offer many colleges will come to WKHS and allow you the chance to interact with an admissions representative. There are quite a few of these visits already scheduled and they start next week. The college events section of PrepHQ has been updated to include all of the colleges that are currently scheduled to visit. If you are interested in attending any of the presentations you need to stop into the Counseling and Career Center and you will see the sign up sheets in an organization system on the table on the right side when you walk in the door. Simply sign up on the sheet and take a pass with you for your teacher to sign granting their approval for your attendance. All of you can take advantage of these opportunities and I encourage you to do so. (By the way, if you have updated your PrepHQ college list then if any of the schools that you are interested in are scheduled to visit you should automatically receive an e-mail alerting you to the visit – another good reason to keep your college list current.)

We got a reminder in the Guidance Office this week that Eastern Michigan University automatically grants in-state tuition rates to all students from Ohio. Just thought I would pass that along in case you are interested in the school.

The year before I started at WKHS there were 4 students at my high school who were diagnosed with cancer – 2 of them were my students. As you can imagine this was tough for each of these students and everyone who knew them. They all continue in their battles – some doing better than others, but I was reminded of them all because September is National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. When I think about what all of the incredible young kids must face as they fight for their lives I quickly realize that any “problems” I think I have are not so important any more.

And finally, I read on the Dispatch website that today the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released the latest statistics on teenage suicides and there has been a significant increase in suicide rates among teen girls. I want to remind each of you that if you are ever feeling overwhelmed and not sure where to turn or if you are worried about a friend who you suspect might be considering suicide – PLEASE come and talk to me or one of the other counselors at school! This is truly a matter of life or death and you are far too important to me to have anything happen to you.

And to end on a happy note – Tomorrow is Friday! :-)

No comments: