Sunday, January 13, 2008

Ice Sports

Last night I had a brand new experience as I watched a sport for the first time in my life – curling. Five Kilbourne students participate in a Curling League. I know less than nothing about curling, although one student and one parent did try to give us some basic information about the game. So, what I do know is that teams of 4 people slide these heavy (42 pounds) rocks or stones or something like that across the ice and try to get them to land in a circle on the other end of the ice. There is a lot of running alongside the rock as it makes the way down the ice and brushing of the ice to get it to move more in a particular direction. Occasionally people fall down and as long as they were not hurt it was comical. The entire student section kept me thoroughly entertained throughout the evening with their commentary, vanilla wafers, and doing the wave. Needless to say, I laughed a lot and had a good time, but it was quite cold!

Before watching curling I saw the Wolves Ice Hockey team win an impressive game against DeSales. The team has a significant number of players out due to injuries which means the remaining players are on the ice A TON! It also makes their victory that much more exciting. Way to go guys!

No comments: