Friday, May 16, 2014

Arts in Action and Administrators

Today was Arts in Action - a day when Kilbourne students get to spend the day having fun and enjoying the artistic talents of their peers.  I enjoyed seeing your artwork and watching as some of "my" students performed.  Below are a few of the pictures I was able to capture of some of my students from the day.

Jacob Bloom won the Pottery Throwdown Competition!

Alex Brothers performed with Acafellas.

Jon Blake performed on his own.

Anne Dargenio and Maddie Beals sang and performed together.

They were all so impressive as was the artwork I was able to see!

On a separate note, what jobs do you know that you would never want?  There are a lot of careers which I know would not be right for me...  For example, I could never be a chef.  It is stressful enough when I try to make something for myself or my family and friends let alone trying to feed tons of many people with different tastes and opinions.  I could also never be a firefighter.  I am a chicken.  It wouldn't be a good job option particularly when I don't even like the heat when I open the oven.  Ha!  And I would never want to be a school administrator.  That is probably a strange career to add into the mix, but think about it for a moment...  Ms. Adrean, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Nally and Mr. Todd have very tough, demanding jobs.  They work long hours and don't get thanked enough for everything that they do.  Our administrators are stuck in the middle between balancing the needs of our students, families, and staff along with the expectations of the district leaders.  They are consistently in demand.  Just today, I watched as Ms. Adrean was pulled in about 10 different directions at once.  She was helping students, encouraging other students as they headed into their IB test, talking to teachers, observing arts in action performances, and thanking our office workers for their help for the year.  And, no more had she stopped to try to enjoy time with the office workers than another teacher walked up to ask her for a moment of her time.  This was a quick snapshot of time, but it is reflective of a typical part of their daily jobs.  Everyone needs some of their time and attention.  They are at nearly every home sporting event and many away games as well.  They attend concerts, plays, and special events such as Mock Trial.  Administrators play a vital role in all aspects of a school's functioning.  They are creating the master schedule, planning the graduation ceremony, providing leadership and encouragement for teachers and staff to learn and grow, and supporting special events like today's Arts in Action festivities.  As an administrator, it would be demanding to try to be everything to all people and yet they handle it.

So, even though I love eating, am grateful that there are people willing to risk their lives to battle fires, and am thankful for the leadership and service of our school administrators, these definitely would not be careers for me.  :-)  I do encourage you to find time in these last few weeks of the school year to thank the administrators for everything they do to help make Kilbourne you are a place to attend. And I will use this as my opportunity to say thank you to Ms. Adrean, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Nally, and Mr. Todd!

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: