Monday, September 8, 2008

Noteworthy News

I wanted to let you all know that I will be out of the building all day tomorrow. Each year the counselors attend the Ohio Association of College Admissions Counselors Articulation meeting which is a gathering of high school counselors with all of the public and private colleges in Ohio to hear about admissions changes, trends, and practices. It is a very informative meeting, but I will miss out on a day at school... hopefully you won't miss me too much! :-)



There was an interesting story in the Columbus Dispatch today about cell phone use in a particular area at Kenyon College. With cell phones as a previous "hot topic" in our school I thought you would be interested in seeing their "compromise."



Over the summer there were some other interesting articles in the news...



Getting to know your roommate at college can be both stressful and fun. For the record, I do not recommend rooming with a friend from high school - I think it is great to be able to have a friend to go to when your roommate is driving you crazy (and they *will* drive you crazy at some point because it is a small room and you are not used to living with this person.) I will agree with this article and say that basing your assumptions on the information you can find online about your future roommate is NOT a good story - try to stay open minded!



The other article is one that I find terrifying and it is related to drinking games and how deadly they can be for college students. Please make smart decisions to stay safe!


Have a great day tomorrow. I'll see you Wednesday!

No comments: