Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Memorial Day!

I hope that you had a wonderful Memorial Day spending time with your family and friends. I also hope that you had the chance to pause and reflect on the meaning behind this holiday. My grandfather is a WWII veteran as are many of his close friends. Earlier this month his friends were able to fly for a one-day trip to Washington DC in order to visit the WWII memorial. They were invited to participate in this special trip as part of a program to try to allow as many WWII veterans to have the opportunity to visit the memorial as possible. Unfortunately my grandfather was too ill to join them, but they have brought back pictures and shared stories of their visit. It was definitely a good reminder for me of how proud they are of their service and how much their time in the military meant to each of them. So today, as I spent time with my grandfather, I honored the service and sacrifice of all of the veterans from past wars. I also thought of those who are currently serving in the military. (Including several WKHS grads like one of “my” students from last year, Joda Dotson, who is currently in Iraq. FYI - Joda called me from Iraq three weeks ago and we talked for a while and he is doing great.)

I have heard before that America is only the land of the free if it is the home of the brave. So this year, on Memorial Day, I hope you will join me in thinking not only of those who have sacrificed their lives for our freedom and for the families they left behind, but also for all who have proudly served to make us the home of the brave. God Bless America and all who have made the choice to serve!

No comments: