Monday, April 21, 2008

Basketball Hall of Fame

It was a very exciting weekend for my family! On Saturday night my (step) dad, Dave Hoover, was inducted into the Ohio High School Basketball Coaches Association Hall of Fame.

Many of you may not know that my dad was a basketball coach, but prior to when I started at WKHS he had been a coach for as long as I had known him – first at Westerville North High School and then at Canton McKinley High School. Basketball season was always a fun time and I tried to squeeze in as many trips to Canton to watch his teams play because I loved watching him coach. He is, without a doubt, a gifted coach and is passionate about the game of basketball.


He cringes when people start talking about his records and all that he has accomplished because he says it is all due to having talented athletes who worked hard, yet I think his accomplishments are worthy of highlighting...

- 3 State Championships! (All in Division-1. His first was in 1994, second was 2005, and the third was in 2006)

- 7 Final Four Appearances (Which also means 7 Regional Championships)

- 11 District Championships

- 5 OCC Championships and 2 Federal League Championships

- His Canton McKinley State Championship teams of 2005-2006 made McKinley the first school in 33 years to win back-to-back championships in the big school division and the first school in almost 40 years to win consecutive poll championships and state tournament championships.

- His 1994 Westerville North state championship team is still the only suburban school to win a big school title.

- He has been named conference coach of the year 7 times, district coach of the year 5 times and state coach of the year 3 times

Pretty impressive – don’t you think!?! Obviously my whole family is incredibly proud of him!

Saturday night’s induction celebration was fun, but also very long. Dave was one of 5 individuals inducted into the Hall of Fame. Here are some more pictures so you can share in our excitement.


Above is a picture of my family - left to right: Brad (brother-in-law), Macy (sister), me, Dave (hall of famer), my mom, and my grandmother.

Above is a picture of all 5 of the 2008 Hall of Fame inductees.

No comments: