Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Senior Mixed Emotions

Did you enjoy the REALLY extra long weekend from the snow day today?  While it was nice to spend another day relaxing in sweats, I have to admit I genuinely miss seeing all of you (and I won't even mention how much Lexi is missing you) today!  In some ways I guess this is my mixed emotions - I am happy for a snow day, but still missing all of you.

For seniors this is such a time of mixed emotions for many different reasons.  The excitement about being in your final semester of high school battles the disbelief that high school has flown past.  The eagerness to be done with high school because you are ready to move on to whatever is next competes with the fears about what will come after high school.  The joy of college acceptances comes at the same time as the disappointment and sadness of deferrals and rejections.  None of it is easy!

Over the past few weeks as more and more college admissions decisions have been arriving, I noticed that students will sometimes forget that others are around and start announcing where they were accepted and their feelings about different schools. 

When you have been accepted to a school, it is wonderful news and completely understandable that you want to shout it from the roof-tops, but it is also important to try to be sensitive to those around you and to remember that some of your friends and classmates are NOT being accepted into the very same colleges. 

While receiving a college rejection letter is hard, it is even more hurtful to hear someone else say something such as, "Oh, I was accepted to ___ (insert name of college) but I would never actually go there." Particularly if the school mentioned was the one where a student was recently rejected and had been their top choice college. 

So, go ahead and share your excitement, but please be sensitive to what you say about other schools and how you "rate" your own schools. No one school is perfect for every student and every student is not perfect for every school - it is important to find the right balance and I sincerely believe that every student will be able to find the college that is right for them.

Finding a way to balance the range of emotions you are experiencing as seniors is important. Sure, many of you are excited to graduate and be done with high school, but that also means the future, starting college, getting jobs, and being "adults" is just around the corner. I know that this is a time of high anxiety and remember, I am here to help support you! Please, do NOT sabotage yourself and your grades in your classes as a *solution* to not feeling ready to leave high school. Stop in and see me - let me know how you are feeling about high school coming to an end in just a few short months. I look forward to chatting with you soon!

No comments: