Thursday, March 21, 2013

Memorable Ceremony

Today the seniors had the opportunity to attend a Naturalization Ceremony in the WKHS Auditorium.  Our school was turned into a federal courtroom for this occasion.  70 men and women - I believe they said between the ages of 18 and 80 - became United States citizens today and we were honored to be able to witness this special moment.  Naomi Barker did a great job as she shared her personal experience with her dual citizenship and shared her recollection of attending her dad's naturalization ceremony.  Additionally, the WKHS band and choir performed beautifully which helped make the day even more touching.  My favorite part though was as each individual gaining citizenship went around to introduce him/ herself.  It was heart-warming to hear their excitement and emotion.  I was brought to tears multiple times as I watched and listened to the people declare that this was a dream come true and/ or the best day of their lives.  Citizenship is something that I am so grateful for, but, to be honest, is something that I do take for granted.  My gratitude for living in this incredible country and the blessings that we have as a result of where we live is something to be celebrated today and every day!

(This is 1 of 2 posts tonight... I just couldn't let today pass without sharing about it.)

No comments: