Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veterans Day

Sorry that there has been a lag in my blogging.  This coming Thursday is the Career Fair and every spare moment when I haven't been meeting with students at work has been spent trying to make sure that the students will have a great experience interacting with the professionals who are so generously volunteering their time to attend the event.  I will try to get some career related updates up this week since that is what is top of mind right now, but I appreciate your patience if I am slow in getting posts up again this week.

As you know, today is Veterans Day, a day when we pause to remember and honor the men and women who have served the United States in our military to protect our freedom.  I knew that I wanted to post something in honor of our nation's military and ended up looking back at last year's Veterans Day post and realized that even one year later it perfectly captured my thoughts and so I am sharing it with you all again...

As I reflected on how much I appreciate the service, dedication and sacrifice so many men and women have given to our country, I couldn't help but have my mind wander specifically to a few different groups of people. My mind went first to my grandfather and his friends, then I thought of all the Marines that I met while at the Parris Island for the Educator's Conference (what all the pictures and newspaper article in my office are from), and then I couldn't help but think of all of my former students who have served (or are currently serving) in the military.

I'll be honest, there is a part of me that is worried to put up this list because I am scared that I am missing people, but this is the list I could come up with tonight in alphabetical order... Vinnie Aebi, Adam Bardelang, Alex Blake, Josh Burton, Taylor Castelli, Eric Castoe, Austin Clouse, Tom Collier, Drew Cox, Dorothy Dibble, Joda Dotson, Stephen Downard, Michael Frizzi, and Zach Ellifritz.

There are no words to adequately express my gratitude and respect for your courage, strength and dedication to country. To all Veterans, thank you for your service and for those of you still in the military, thank you and please, stay safe!

Also, for those of you who might be thinking that you'd like to find ways to honor our nation's military men and women, I thought this article had some great ideas:

15 great ways for students to support our military

No comments: