Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Weekend of Essays?

Did you have a nice weekend?  I hope that you enjoyed the holiday and all of the fun that comes with it, but I know that for many seniors, this weekend was probably filled with writing essays.  For students working on college applications this weekend is often referred to in the college world as the "Black Weekend" where parents are forcing their sons and daughters to complete their college applications.  If you were among those who spent lots of time writing out essays, I hope you were productive!  It is important to have people look over your essays again and make sure that they are saying what you are hoping to convey with a tone that puts you in the best possible light.

I had listed this article in my last list of articles that I thought might be helpful for you and I have been printing it out for a lot of students for the last few weeks so I wanted to post it up here again on it's own.

The Common App Essays: Breaking Down the Questions

As you review your essays, please be sure to look at your final piece with a critical eye to see if it is a good "college essay."  This can be frustrating because a lot of times students will have beautifully written essays that don't make good college essays because the reader won't learn anything about you from the essay.  Please, help your application by introducing yourself fully and completely to the admissions committee.

I'm looking forward to seeing all of you tomorrow.  Stop by and let me know about your Thanksgiving break!

No comments: