Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Crisis Reminder

Today the students and staff at McCord Middle School learned that one of their 8th grade students had died. All of the WKHS counselors went across the street to help out on this difficult day and so, as you can imagine, my mind has been very crisis focused. I thought this might be a good time to review the importance of communication when crisis situations occur. It is important, as a school counselor, to be aware of any major incidents that impact students from the school as soon as possible so that we can help prepare an appropriate response. For the record, I tend to check my e-mails over weekends, holidays, and the summer for any critical incidents, but I do not check my school voicemail, so the best way to pass along important timely news is e-mail. Obviously, my hope is that this information is never needed and that we will not face any crisis situations in the future, but I also know that it is better safe than sorry.

No comments: