Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Mock Car Crash

On Monday morning the juniors and seniors had the opportunity to watch a mock car crash. This example of a serious car accident and the way that the police and fire departments respond was intended to help remind students of the importance of making good decisions and staying safe. Since standing there and watching the events of the day play out, I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. (Obviously the point of the entire assembly.) For me, this was seeing one of my biggest nightmares played out in person. I care about each of my students and I would never want anything bad to happen to any of you or your friends.

It is important to make safe decisions and to not drink and drive or drive with anyone who has been drinking. Unfortunately, even if you aren't doing anything wrong and someone else who has made the decision to drink and drive it is still possible that you can be an innocent victim. Selfishly, I hope that none of you will have to face the senseless tragedy that we saw in the demonstration. Thank you to Kat Elkins, Jessica Black, and Liz Bates - three of "my" students who participated in the Mock Car Crash.

As we approach prom weekend - and, for that matter, every day - please remember to stay safe and help keep your friends safe!

No comments: