Thursday, August 23, 2007

Welcome Home


In order for this picture and story to make sense I need to give you some background so I hope you will bear with me…

About a year and a half ago I was invited to go on an Educator’s Conference to Parris Island which is a location of Marine Corps Boot Camp. Knowing NOTHING about the military I figured it would be a good learning experience. I must admit that I was a little nervous about the trip, but since we didn’t actually have to DO anything while there except for watch and learn, I figured it would be OK. As it turns out, I loved the experience! It was wonderful to meet the recruits (they are called recruits throughout boot camp because they must earn the title Marine) and to see what transpires during the 13 weeks as these young men and women go from Civilian to Recruit to Marine. The Dispatch sent a reporter and photographer on the trip and ran a story on the front page. One of the front page photos was of me shooting an M16. (First time I had EVER held a “gun” or more appropriately “weapon” in my life let alone fired one!) So, needless to say it was a memorable trip and I have lots of pictures in my office if you are ever curious.

I gave you this background because I want to tell you about one of the recruits that I met while at Parris Island. During the trip, they allowed us to eat lunch with the recruits on two different days and it was great to meet these young men. The first day was eating an MRE (Meals Ready to Eat) and that is where I met Alfonso (pictured above). Alfonso helped me and another counselor by preparing our food. (I couldn’t even open the MRE!) We talked the entire lunch break and because I was asking questions he wasn’t able to eat – I didn’t figure out that rule until later and felt awful about him not being able to eat much of his own lunch, but when I informed the Drill Instructor about it, he told me that I just told him about someone who was going to be a great Marine because he put others before himself. Well, Alfonso graduated from boot camp, went on for further military training at the School of Infantry and earlier this year was deployed to Iraq.

Last year when I was meeting with the Juniors and their parents we often discussed community service projects and one of the students mentioned coordinating drives for care packages to send to those serving in Iraq. At that point I didn’t realize that Alfonso was in Iraq, but thought it would be a great volunteer project for me to take on as a way to demonstrate my gratitude for those who serve in our nation’s military (I am far too much of a chicken and a wimp to ever be able to do that!) and also as a way to honor those individuals who I had met at Parris Island. So, I worked with my family and friends to put together care packages and off they went to Iraq. (I received responses from several individuals and will share those with you some other time because they are fascinating.) The week after I mailed a dozen care packages I heard from Alfonso’s dad and learned that he was also in Iraq. Needless to say, another care package was quickly in the mail! Alfonso and I e-mailed routinely during his deployment which was great. (It’s really hard waiting on snail mail back and forth between Iraq!) I knew he would be returning home soon, but wasn’t sure when exactly. I found out today that he has arrived back to North Carolina safe and sound!

Welcome Home Alfonso!

PS – During boot camp they make the recruits wear these really thick glasses that won’t be easily damaged… I’m sure Alfonso would want me to tell you that. LOL!

And finally, a response to the question of when the data in PrepHQ was going to be updated… it should be updated next week. They were waiting to make sure that we have all of the new students that will be coming to Kilbourne before they do the data upload. You can look for that info soon. (Great question by the way!)

No comments: