Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Diploma Presenter

Graduation was more than a month ago and yet, in some ways, part of it still feels like yesterday.  I loved being at the Schott for graduation with all of the students being shown up on the big screen so family members could easily see.  I loved the excitement of students lined up in the hallways under the arena anxious to get moving and celebrate the accomplishments after a trying year.  I loved hearing one of my students, Ella Brown, sing the National Anthem and watching as another one of my students, Brady Cloyd, was among those inducted into the Hall of Fame.  I loved seeing all of the families and groups of students gathered together outside after the ceremony ended hugging, laughing, and celebrating.  But, most of all, my favorite part of graduation was the hug I got to give to students just seconds before I handed them their diploma.

Kilbourne has lots of cool traditions and allowing seniors to have the option of who they want to have hand them their diploma has to be my favorite one of all.  I love the fact that students will be able to look back years from now and say x is who gave me my diploma because in so many districts that isn't the case.  To me, it is the ultimate recognition of how important the student/ staff relationship is to our school and district.

Each year that I have been asked to hand someone their diploma I am deeply touched and honored.  This means so much to me because my students mean so much to me.  And this year, the Class of 2021, I was able to hand out more diplomas than I ever had in the past.  But, for me, it wasn't about the number it is about who each of these people and how much they mean to me.


Pictured above from left to right: Alex Estrada-Ibanez, Aerial Davis, Courtney Earhart, Ella Bally, Blair Andrews, Emily Cline, Zach Bailey, Emma Blanton, Joseph De La Torre, Paveli Diaz Avalos, and Andrew Bickell.  (I also was able to present diplomas to Kaiden Bevelander, Twan Bentley, and Jorge Carbajal who weren't able to make it for the photo.)

So let me take a moment to tell you about these students... they are STRONG, COURAGEOUS, and CARING!  Those three words represent each of these individuals.  Over the last four years, they have faced their own battles, accomplished great moments, chased after their dreams, and worked really hard.  I have asked them to help me and not one ever turned me down when I needed their help... even though it was supposed to be me helping them.  ;-)  They spoke to groups, they encouraged other students, their shared insights with administrators, and, quite simply, they made a difference.  They are talented in all different aspects - some love sports, others are gifted at music, many are incredible students, they are extraordinary artisits, they are passionate about their futures and what path they will take to get there, and they are remarkable encouragers and friends.

Alex, Aerial, Courtney, Ella, Blair, Emily, Zach, Emma, Joseph, Paveli, Andrew, Kaiden, Twan and Jorge ~ Thank you all for allowing me to have the honor of presenting you with your diploma.  Thank you for the positive impact you have had on my life and on WKHS as a whole.  I am so fortunate that I had the chance to get to know you and I cannot wait to see all that you accomplish in the future!  Congratulations!  Love, Miss Abbott

No comments: