Saturday, October 24, 2020

Judgment

I came across this story and it got to me so I wanted to share it with you too...

A young couple moved into a new neighborhood.

The next morning while they were eating breakfast, the young woman saw her neighbor hanging the wash outside.

"That laundry is not very clean; she doesn’t know how to wash correctly. Perhaps she needs better laundry soap."

Her husband looked on, remaining silent.

Every time her neighbor hung her washings out to dry, the young woman made the same comments.

A month later, the woman was surprised to see a nice clean wash on the line and said to her husband, "Look, she’s finally learned how to wash correctly. I wonder who taught her this?"

The husband replied, "I got up early this morning and cleaned our windows."

Remember… the quickest way to stop judging someone is to look at yourself and ask, who am I to judge…

Isn't that the truth?!  It can be so easy to ask ourselves "who does that?" or "what are they thinking" or "why would/ wouldn't they do that?" But the reality is I believe most people are doing the best they can in the circumstances.  It might not be what they would like to be doing either, but someone else judging them isn't particularly helpful or healing.  So right now, when stress levels are already so high, try to pause and be patient with those around you.  I know it can be hard, but maybe it is less about them and more about you... or at least that is my personal reflection that it is definitely less about them and more about me needing to adjust.

No comments: