Sunday, February 17, 2019

Incredible Students

My students never cease to amaze me and that has never been more on display than this past few weeks.  I have not had the chance to recognize all of the students who have had extraordinary moments recently so I have quite a few to recognize tonight.

The February Students of the Month:
Students are nominated by staff in recognition for their academic and/or extracurricular contributions.  This recognition can only be earned once during a student's high school career.  My students who were recognized as students of the month include: (L to R): Will Alban, Ava Cattunar, Nicoly Anicio, Lucy Crisafulli, Jocelyn Elder, Lexi Bair, Macain Eldridge, and not pictured Adam Clay.

The Talent Show:
The courage required to stand up and show off your talents in front of peers and parents is far beyond what I can even imagine and yet so many of my students were among those who pushed past any fears to excel.  I was so impressed by the talents on display, by the humor of the Masters of Ceremony, and the positive encouragement given by attendees to all of the participants.  Congratulations to talent show participants: Jacob Antolik, Chidima Anaraodo, Asa Compton, Sam Cottrill, Alanah Paige Spencer, and members of the Field Hockey and Dance teams.  And to the Masters of Ceremony pictured: Lexi bair, Mya Boggs, and Kaleb Dave.

The King and Queen of Hearts Candidates:
Earning money for the Thirst Foundation was the challenge given to the King and Queen of Hearts candidates.  They combined together to raise over $1,600 for the charity.  This year's candidates featured many of my students including: Mya Boggs, Gracie Burford, Melina Calhoun, Katie Coppel, Alex Ehlers, Sam Barr, and Kaleb Dave.  Melina ended up being crowned Queen of Hearts for collecting the most money!

The College Athletic Commitments:
This past week two of my students had the opportunity to sign their letters of intent to participate in their sport in college.  I loved the heart-felt speeches that they shared and the appreciation that they showed to their family, coaches, teammates, and friends.  But I think what stands out to me the most is what these ceremonies really represent - countless hours of practice, games, strength training, rehab, and going above and beyond to excel.
Gracie Burford will continue her Field Hockey career at Catholic University. 
Jack Ellis will continue his Lacrosse career at Seton Hill University.

Clearly, each of these outstanding individuals have found ways to excel in the classroom and beyond.  I am so proud of you all and thankful that I have the chance to work with you.  Congratulations for your accomplishments and thank you for the positive impact you make at Kilbourne!

No comments: