Tuesday, November 8, 2016

United States Naval Academy

Hi Everyone.  Did you miss me at school today?  I spent most of the day traveling and have now arrived in Annapolis, Maryland - home of the United States Naval Academy.  I will be here through Friday.  I had forewarned you that I would probably not blog much if at all this week while I am gone and after receiving the agenda I can confirm that I won't be able to blog again until Friday.  (We start tomorrow at 6:30am and return to the hotel at 10pm!)  Yikes!  So, hopefully you will be patient with me while I learn as much as possible about the opportunities available at the Naval Academy and I promise to share updates with you once I am back in Ohio.

Tonight, I did have the chance to attend the first meeting which featured a presentation by Vice Admiral Carter who serves as the Superintendent of the United States Naval Academy.  He is a 1981 graduate of the USNA and has a VERY impressive military history prior to taking this position several years ago.  He graduated as a Flight Officer, then graduated from the Navy Fighter Weapons School, Top Gun, and then completed the Navy's Nuclear Power Program.  This resulted in him being a commander for many deployments and receiving an incredible number of awards.  He was an impressive speaker and all I could think as I listened to him was how inspiring he was and how unbelievably smart he is - an incredible leader of the college.

We haven't actually stepped foot on the base yet, but I am incredibly excited for the chance to learn and see more in the days to come and I really hope that I will get to see the Kilbourne grads who are now Midshipmen at the USNA.

Have a great week!

No comments: