Sunday, August 14, 2016

Worthington Strong

I am at a loss for words.

On Friday, several of my students along with one of my former students (a Kilbourne grad) and the parent of my students were involved in a tragic car accident while on their way to their first water polo tournament of the year.

As a result of injuries sustained in the accident Courtney Fisher, a 2015 WKHS graduate, died and the other 5 people in the car were all badly hurt.  Like so many of you who gathered together at a candlelight vigil to honor Courtney's life, to pray for those injured and to support the entire water polo team, I continue to have a hard time trying to wrap my head around this tragedy.

But, I guess that is the reality of it.  Everything can change so quickly.  We don't know what tomorrow, next week or next year will bring which is why we must make the most of today.  And we must focus on what is truly important today and every day.

Back around the tragedies of the twin towers being struck on September 11, 2001, I remember trying to figure out how to manage those emotions and I heard or read about the importance of "looking for the good" when there is a crisis.  That message of looking for the good has stuck with me and is something that I have focused on with this car accident and wow... the good was all around everywhere I looked.

I saw good in the way our Kilbourne community came together to support one another.  There was good in the way that other teams shared their support for the water polo team.  It was impossible not to be touched and overwhelmed by the compassion and thoughtfulness of all of the students from other schools who showed up at WKHS in their Thomas Worthington, Upper Arlington, St. Charles, and Olentangy shirts (among many others).  Goodness could be seen in the way the water polo team and coach led the vigil as leaders in healing even though they are among the most devastated.  And, of course, goodness was in every statement, every hug, and every tear that honored and celebrated Courtney's amazing life!

Courtney lived her life filled with joy and she had such drive to achieve her own goals and to support others in reaching their full potential as well.  She received the 12 seasons of greatness award for competing all 4 years of high school in 3 sports - water polo, swimming and softball.  She was a driving force with the One Leg at a Time program and led Stand up for the Silent day.  Courtney had a great smile, was a Michigan State Spartan fan, and loved her family and friends with her whole heart.

I am proud to work at WKHS every day, but during these tough, heartbreaking, sad days I am reminded that we are "Worthington Strong." I hope all of you know that you are important to me and I am thankful to work with you each day.

As a reminder, if you are struggling to deal with the emotions related to Courtney's death, please know that I am here to listen and I hope you will stop by so we can talk about it.

1 comment:

Mr. Fishers School Counseling blog said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your community at this time Breanna. Stay strong and know others throughout the state are praying for you and your school at this time.
- Mr. Fisher (Vantage Career Center)