Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Reflecting on the Past

This has been an interesting way to start the year off.  While relaxing and enjoying these bonus days, I have also been thinking a lot about the past year.  Reflecting on the past is always an important part of moving ahead.  The one word that kept coming to mind was lucky.  I am so incredibly lucky to have this job, to be able to work with all of you, and to try to make a difference in some small way.  The reality is that I have been blessed so much more than I could ever find words to describe.  (And that applies not only in school, but also in life.)  Of course, my life isn’t perfect – none of us have a perfect existence, but the reality is I am so lucky to be happy and healthy.  Each year as I work with students I see you struggle to figure out who you are and who you want to become in the future.  I hope that whatever path you take, that you will find joy, happiness, love and fulfillment.  I am grateful that you allow me to be a part of your high school journey.  Over break as well as on our first day back, I had the chance to reconnect with former students and I am proud of all that each of them are accomplishing in their lives and I am grateful that they continue to stay in touch no matter how many years it has been since they walked the halls as students at WKHS.  This opportunity to reconnect with past students also left me feeling lucky – to know that what I do every day matters.  So, as I head into 2014 I am going to try to focus on being more grateful for all of the little things.  And while I am sure that finding gratitude can be hard some days (think of the days when everyone just wants to complain about their schedule), the daily visits, the successes when you overcome an obstacle that has been challenging you, and the chance to celebrate in your accomplishments will far outweigh any days that can wear on me and so I am lucky and for 2014 I hope to approach each day with an attitude of gratitude.  Thanks for joining me in this journey!  I hope 2014 is everything you are hoping it will be in your life.

No comments: