Monday, February 20, 2012

Trip to Michigan

Recently, as I was meeting with my junior students and parents I mentioned that I would try to balance out the blog posts with different updates about information related to school and would, at times, share information about me in an effort to allow my students the chance to get to know me better just as I ask you to allow me to do with each of you. As a result I wanted to share about the trip I took last weekend with my family to Michigan. This weekend getaway was a Christmas present from my parents and we had a great time together. When I was packing, I asked my mom if they had any snow in Michigan. She said no and she was right - there was no snow on the ground when we arrived. It started snowing a little bit about the time that we arrived in town. The next morning when we woke up and looked outside, this is what we saw!Obviously the weather predictions were wrong! We had declined the option of putting my car in a garage since they were calling for just an inch or two of snow... big mistake since my car was buried! :-) The snow came up to my knees and it was the most snow that my niece, nephew, and brother-in-law had ever seen at one time. We were all really excited and I felt like such a kid again with the desire to go sledding. Unfortunately, there was so much snow and it was so fluffy that it made sledding difficult - plus it was frigid outside!



The whole reason we had gone to Michigan for this weekend was to enjoy the ice sculpture festival that they hold and we did brave walking around very briefly (again it was beyond freezing!!) to see some of the ice sculptures. They were incredible! The pictures don't do the sculptures justice but it was too cold to worry about trying to get a good picture. You can see how massive the sculptures were by looking at my niece in front of the helicopter in the picture below.




My mom said that she had been hoping it would be a memorable trip and that we would all have a good time and that was definitely the case.

No comments: