Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Letter to "My" Seniors

To “My” Seniors-
Wow, yesterday marked the end of your high school career and you are now ALUMNI of WKHS! You have been “my” students for the last three years and I can honestly say it has been an honor and a privilege to be able to walk along this journey of high school with you.

As I stood in the room watching while you lined up in your cap and gown preparing to head into the ceremony my mind began drifting to the future. There is so much potential and possibility within your class and it will be exciting to see what you accomplish as you chase your goals.

I have many fond memories from your class. I have seen your strength as you struggled through difficult circumstances. Whether it was dealing with the death of a friend or grandparent, the serious illness of a parent, the fears of leaving high school, the divorce of your parents, the heartache of break-up’s with boyfriends/ girlfriends, the struggles with a difficult subject or frustrations with a class, moving or other major changes in living arrangements and even your own personal health challenges, you faced all of it with courage. I have witnessed your compassion as you reached out to help those around you. This caring nature was exemplified through your involvement in community outreach through the school-wide projects such as Adopt-a-Child and the canned food drive, in individual efforts through community service and volunteer outreach, in the way you supported and comforted friends who were struggling or hurting, in the way you reached out to total strangers to make sure they felt important and included, and also in your willingness to help with any project when I asked for your assistance. The talent among your class is remarkable. Your talent spans from academics to athletics and the arts as “my” students included a National Merit Finalist, National Merit Commended Scholar, AP Scholars, Students of the Month, members of the Socratic Society, athletic award winners including many who received team awards (such as for outstanding sportsmanship), or were recognized in the league, district or state for their excellence, students who will continue to compete in athletics at the collegiate level, Governor’s art award winners, incredibly talented musicians, singers, and thespians who have a gift that captures your attention and never lets you go. I have been impressed by your leadership. Whether it was your role as team captain, leading the school as a member of student council, or in the quiet ways that I watched as you lead by your actions without praise or accolades, your strengths in leadership will continue to serve you well in the future. And, I have to be honest, as a whole, your class took procrastination to an entirely new level that I never would have thought (or feared) possible.
You have made me laugh and sometimes even cry and you have touched my heart in a special way.

Congratulations! Good luck in the future. Remember that I am always here for you and that I believe in you!
Miss Abbott

No comments: