Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Submitting College Applications

I am happy to say that I have been seeing more and more students working their way through the beginning stages of the college application process. I think that many students have found that they are worried that it will be much bigger and more difficult than it really is. Without a doubt*, the most challenging part of the college application process is writing your college essay. (*OK, so I said this is the most challenging part, but really I should say this is the most challenging part for right NOW. Picking your list of schools was the most challenging part before you started applying and soon waiting will be the most challenging part and then, of course, making the decision about where to attend will be the big challenge. :-) I know it can be overwhelming, but you will get through this and I am here to help you in any way that I can!)

When applying, the colleges definitely prefer for you to apply online. Most schools will require you to create a username and password. I cannot stress enough how important it is that you save all of these usernames and passwords! You will more than likely need them again when you want to check your admissions status. (Once upon a time I would have suggested saving it in the notes area of PrepHQ, but since that isn't an option, please find a safe place at home where your dog won't eat it or it won't be thrown away by accident.)

A few reminders about your online application...
1.) Punctuation and spelling matter! Pay attention to the details - this is your introduction to the college and you want to make a positive impression.

2.) Use your parents "real" names - they are more than just "mom" or "dad."

3.) Double check that you have the correct social security number. Many schools use that to connect all of your application pieces together.

4.) If it has a spot for an essay response - that is really an essay - do not just write in a quick sentence and move on. Take the time to draft, edit, revise, edit, revise, step away from, edit, and revise some more before you copy and paste the final essay into the application and submit it.

5.) Tell the Truth! Do not make up something or claim that you won an award, completed community service, or had some other issue during high school if it is not true. Honesty matters in how the college will perceive you and it is also simply an issue of integrity.

(And, for the record, all 5 of these problems are actual problems I have found when reviewing student applications at WKHS! I couldn't make them up...)

After submitting your application online most colleges will have a form that you will need to download for me to complete for you. You need to bring these forms with any other supportive materials that the college requests to the Counseling and Career Center. (Supportive materials might be teacher recommendation letters, sample writings, etc.)

There are yellow Transcript Release forms on the filing cabinets right in the middle of the Counseling and Career Center that you must complete for each school in order to authorize us to release your transcript to the college. You will need to complete the transcript release form and provide all of the materials plus a $2.00 fee to Mrs. Hoyt (Registrar). She then runs your transcript and places it in a folder along with all of your other materials and passes it off to me. I will then work on completing the form and we will mail the entire packet of materials to your college.

It is ESSENTIAL to watch your deadlines carefully! You need to provide plenty of time for the application to be processed. The best “rule of thumb” for your getting your application to the counseling center is 30 days before the due date. Most college due dates are for all materials (and not just the application) to be received in their office before that date. Don’t forget that many colleges also have earlier due dates than those publicized to be considered for scholarships so you need to read carefully! If your application requires a recommendation letter from me, you definitely need to provide me with the 30 days of time because I write all recommendation letters on a first come first written basis and I do not want to have your application submitted after the due date because it wasn’t given to me with a reasonable amount of time. If the form does not require a recommendation letter (or if I already have a letter written for you) then my goal is to turn your application around in 1 to 2 school days. Please remember though that there is additional time required to actually get the materials to me and then also get them mailed out.

As always, please remember that I am here to help you and will help guide you through the process as we go. Feel free to ask questions and drop in to see me as you work on your applications.

No comments: