Sunday, September 12, 2010

Oh The Places You'll Go

I am so excited for you to see the new and improved "Oh, The Places You'll Go" display that has been upgraded from the boring white wall outside of my office door to a bright, cheerful, Dr. Seuss inspired bulletin board in the front of the Counseling Center. A huge acknowledgement to Ms. Schwartz for her awesome artisitic talents in creating the art work for the display! She did an incredible job so I hope you will compliment her on it if you see her.

As you are probably aware, this display is something that came about after asking students to take a picture on every college campus that they stepped foot on - no matter if it was for vacation or for an official visit - because each impression helps to shape your view of what you want and expect from a college. As the enthusiasm for this project grew, the counselors decided that this was something we wanted to ask all Kilbourne students to do. I have been begging for pictures for a lot longer than the other counselors have so it is only natural that the majority of the pictures on the wall are from "my" students. (In fact, as of this moment, all of the pictures are of "my" students!) The other counselors have heard reports (as have I) of more students with pictures that they just haven't dropped off yet so we are all looking forward to seeing who else will bring us pictures in the days, weeks, and months ahead. I am thrilled with the pictures I have received already and I know that many of you have recently taken or are soon planning college visits and I hope you will take a moment to capture a picture of you somewhere on the college campus. As a reminder, the picture can be anywhere at the college - a pretty place, in front of a cool building or an area where you expect to spend a lot of time, or, as seems to be the biggest hit - in front of a sign featuring the name of the college.

One of the things that I thought was interesting and a bit strange is that we do not have any pictures from most of the colleges that are at the top of our list of college applications. (For example, OSU is the college to which the most Kilbourne students have applied and we do not have any OSU pictures for this year... somehow I find it hard to believe that no one in this year's graduating class has been on OSU's campus!)

I appreciate everyone who has helped with taking pictures to make this display possible. A couple of acknowledgements...

The first picture received from this year's class was from Chad Ellwood on a trip to Kansas State.

Most pictures received ended up coming from Ali Wright who brought in 8 pictures! She dropped off her 8 pictures at the end of the day on Friday knocking Wyatt Allread out of the lead (who had brought in pictures from 7 different colleges!)

I meant to look and figure out who had the school the greatest distance away from WKHS and forgot, but looking at the picture, I believe that person would be Jami Brunner's picture at USC. (See, all of the band students who made the trip there last year should have brought back pictures from the trip to USC!) :-)

There are only 2 schools that had multiple pictures - Miami had 2 pictures (Jennifer Anthony & Wyatt Allread) and Ohio Northern also had 2 pictures (Gina Badillo & Carmen Casillas)

On a separate note, I wanted to let you all know that I will be out of the building all day tomorrow for the College Articulation Meeting. (This is a huge meeting where all of the Ohio public and private 2-year and 4-year colleges come together to share updates with high school counselors about their schools and applications.) I also anticipate being out of the building for a few hours on Tuesday for a funeral, but promise to do the best I can to get in touch with any of you who are trying to see me on Tuesday. Don't forget that tomorrow (Monday) is a late-start day for you so enjoy sleeping in and your shortened class periods!

2 comments:

Victoria ObSEUSSed said...

What a Seusstastic idea to encourage and inspire your students to attend college. I am adding a link to this on my blog where I collect Dr. Seuss ideas. See it here: http://www.obseussed.com/p/seuss-sites.html

C.Laws said...

This is a wonderful idea.. Im definitely going to use this for my class..It is very motivational... :)