Thursday, March 18, 2010

Respect, Gratitude, and Admiration

Josh Burton is one of my former students. After graduating from WKHS last year, he completed his first quarter at OSU before starting to chase one of his lifetime goals of becoming a Marine. Leaving in the middle of December, he spent 13 weeks at boot camp. It is an understatement to say that I have the utmost level of respect for Josh and his ability to not only endure the intensive training they go through, but to thrive. Last Friday, Josh graduated from boot camp. He was a squad leader which means he had set himself apart from the other recruits and was acknowledged for his leadership and the way he handled himself. Josh was joined at graduation in celebrating his accomplishment of earning the title of Marine by his family (including another one of “my” students, his sister, Molly) and his girlfriend (also one of “my” former students, Haley). Josh is now home on his 10-day leave before continuing with his specialty training in North Carolina and I have been fortunate enough to be able to spend a little bit of time with him. I have such admiration for what he has accomplished and I am so proud of him! Seeing him was wonderful and I was so happy to be able to give him a hug and tell him in person how proud I am of him. More impressive though was seeing him in uniform… when he walked into our offices it literally took my breath away. He was standing so tall and proud and he looked so mature and responsible. He was Josh, but even better. It is a special person who chooses to join the military – especially with the state of the world today – and Josh has that courage and dedication. I am grateful for Josh and for every man and woman who helps to keep our nation safe.

Josh, once again, congratulations, thank you, and know that I am proud of you!

No comments: