Thursday, September 29, 2022

Emotions


I was talking with a student earlier this week about emotions and we ended up chatting about the movie Inside Out.  (Hence the photo)  If you haven't seen the movie, I would recommend it.

But, my purpose of this blog post is to remind you that you are more than your emotions!  It is so easy to get caught up in thinking that how we feel is who we are and nothing can be further from the truth.  For example, try to notice when you say things such as, "I am sad" or "I am angry."  When we use that language it tends to lock us into that emotion as being who we are and not just how we feel.  So how can we reframe that?  We can shift it back to our feelings by sahing things such as, "I feel sad" or "I feel angry."  This sounds like a small change, but it creates a big shift in our mindset which can really help.

Struggling with big emotions can be overwhelming and you don't ever have to face them alone.  Remember that I am here to listen and care when every emotion you are experiencing comes to visit.  Just know that while the emotions come, they will also go... even though it can be hard to know when that will happen.  You matter and how you feel matters!

No comments: