Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Senior College App Steps/Stress


Seniors, you all are making me nervous.  And I don't mean a little nervous... I mean a moderate level of anxiety and concern.  I am hoping that the lack of communication from students about application progress is because you are feeling super confident and are doing great with your applications.  I know that some students have already started to receive acceptance letters so perhaps that is the situation for many of you... but... I doubt it.

Sorry if my skeptism is unwarranted, but normally, after we do the Senior College Information night seniors are at my door and flooding my inbox with messages.  That hasn't happened yet.  You do realize that you need to be working on your applications EVERY DAY for the next 6 weeks, right?

So, perhaps you need a to do list?  Here is a starting point... but let me be very clear - this is NOT an all-inclusive list for you just an initial place to hopefully help you get moving.

1. Finalize your list of colleges where you plan on applying.  I am hoping that you are starting to feel confident in this, but I know that COVID messed with lots of your exploration and visit plans so you need to be moving on this now if you don't already have your list finalized.

2. Get organized with what is needed for each of your college applications.  Make a chart, write it down, print it out - whatever works for you, but you need to know what the deadline is for that college, what essays you have to write for that college, and what additional information they need (such as recommendation letters, resumes, short answer questions, etc).

3. Speaking of recommendation letters, do you need them?  If so, have you already asked someone to write one on your behalf?  And have you given them the forms to help them in writing your letters?  If your colleges want a teacher recommendation letter please remember they are looking for a core teacher and ideally someone you have had relatively recently.  They are seeking input on your academic potential so think about which teachers can write about your work ethic, your dedication, your growth and not just the teacher who you earned an easy A in their class.  If you need a counselor recommendation letter I am happy to write one for you, but just as with your teacher rec letters, I need your forms back.  Right now, this may end up being the fewest number of rec letters I have ever had to write since only 2 students have turned in their forms so far.  I am guessing this is FAR from the number of people who need a counselor recommendation letter.  Please, check your college lists and see if they require a letter and from whom and get the paperwork into your teacher or my hands ASAP.  You should be thinking at LEAST 30 days (and truthfully, with how stressful things have been for your teachers lately you really want to give them even longer so that they can put the time, energy, and effort into your letter.)  Forms for teacher and counselor recommendation letters are on the Counselor Website.

4. Essays.  Hopefully you are drafting and revising and drafting again!  We did lots of essay brainstorming workshops and shared that information with several classes as well so that you could brainstorm unique, creative topics that showcase you, your personality and your values in a meaningful way.  I have seen a handful of the brainstorming sheets as students wanted to talk through their possible topics and I have been SO EXCITED about the prospect of getting to read some of the stories, but there are so many more of you who I haven't seen or heard anything from related to your essays.  And, truthfully, that is ok as long as you are making progress on it.  If you are struggling or are still at the topic brainstorming phase, please work on that brainstorming sheet that we distributed (it is also on the Counselor Website), fill it out with integrity and feel free to talk through the sheet with me so that we can work together to identify what could be possible essay topics for you to start writing.

5. Fill out ALL of the Common App sections.  In the Common App 101 workshops we walked through the areas that tend to be the most confusing to students, but there were still a lot of details that you needed to complete on your own.  Have you gone back in to do that?  If not, there is no better time.  Focus on the details and get that main application section done.

6. Speaking of Common App, you all need to identify me as your counselor so that I can complete your school forms section.  I have a handful (literally - 5 students) who have done that so far.  You are stuck with me this year... so please, identify me so that I can start my form part for you.

7. Transcripts.  Some of you are further along in the process and are ready to send your transcript.  I know this because I have the request online through Common App or SendEdu, but remember, if you haven't completed the transcript release authorization form, I am not allowed to send your transcript.  So hop onto the Counselor website and fill out the form and I will get your transcript to your school(s) asap.

8. Testing... Ugh... I know, this is a nightmare.  If you are still planning to take an ACT/ SAT in September or October, please prepare for the test - look on the ACT/ SAT websites for practice questions and be as familiar with the test as you can be so that you can do as well as you are hoping.

9. College Admissions Rep Virtual Visits.  Do NOT miss these for the schools which interest you.  You can see the dates on the Counselor website and they are also posted a few weeks in advance on your Schoology page.

10. Keep breathing... remember, I am here to support you and to help you!  I don't want any of you to think that this is too much or you are hopeless or that you will never get through it all.  Stressing out about it is a fine line... I want you to have enough stress that you are motivated to get moving because you really do need to get moving!  (Have I mentioned that yet?!?  Now... you need to work on college stuff NOW!)  But too much stress will send many of you into shut-down mode and your head will go in the sand and you will think that it isn't really happening, but it is and you have a bright future ahead so let's keep doors open by making sure you give yourself options for where you might be able to attend college by actually applying.

If you are struggling with ANY of the above steps, PLEASE reach out to me.  Let's zoom and we can break the steps into even smaller, more manageable pieces.  I am excited to help you through this process.  I love learning the stories of YOU as you realize more about yourself and as you share that information with the colleges.  You will feel accomplished as you start knocking some of these items off of your to do list so get moving... please!

No comments: