Saturday, May 9, 2020

It's the little things

This past week was Teacher Appreciation Week and even though I am not a teacher, I benefitted from so many acts of kindness this week.  But I have to say, it was the little things that meant the most to me!

- I had a student send me an email just to say hi and that he was thinking of me during teacher appreciation week.  (Seriously, that was really sweet!)

- I had a few students who have been having a difficult time emotionally reach out and share what is happening for them in their lives.  This is a big deal to me - yes, it is my job, but it takes such courage for a student to do that - especially when we aren't face to face in the building together.  And I genuinely appreciated that we were able to be present with each other during these tough days.

- I had colleagues share about successes of students who have been struggling academically and persevered to achieve their goals in classes.

- I got to see the smiling faces of some of my students in the "WKHS Thank You Teachers" video... oh, how I miss seeing you all!

- I got to share in the excitement of some of the seniors who are looking forward to the in-person, drive-through graduation experience that was announced this week.

- I have continued to receive email messages with update on how you are spending your time during this stay at home experience.  (I have been working on sending each of you an individual email to check in and I have sent one to all of my seniors, juniors, and sophomores and am 2/3 of the way through my freshmen... freshmen, sorry, don't give up on me if you haven't heard from me yet an email will be coming soon.)  I love hearing about all the fun, boring, or crazy things you have been doing while stuck at home!

- I got to see some of the seniors waving video clips and they made me smile and laugh.  I loved them!  I can't wait to see all of them.  And, by the way, if you are a senior (or the parent of a senior) and you haven't done the waving video yet PLEASE do it NOW!!!  Send it to Mrs. Backhurst - I want all of my seniors included in the video!  It is something I will be able to keep and have as a precious memory of you and your class.

So, even though it may have been teacher appreciation week, I want you to know that I appreciate you!  I can say with 100% certainty that you, my students, matter to me!  You brighten my life and I am so thankful that I have the honor of working with you.  I miss you far more than you can imagine and I love every opportunity that I have to see you, hear from you, or talk to you!  Thank you for touching my life in such a big way.  I hope to see you soon!


No comments: