Sunday, March 18, 2018

Senior Parent Idea

This is actually a post for parents instead of for students...

I read an article a few years ago that I felt had a great suggestion for senior parents.  The article gave the idea for parents whose son/ daughter is awaiting admissions decisions from competitive schools to write their child a letter and give it to him/ her BEFORE the decisions arrive reminding your child that your pride and love for them is not dependent upon getting accepted to a particular college.  Wow!  I love this idea!!!

I think back over each year of working with students and parents who were disappointed by not getting accepted to a college of their choice and so often the students feel that people are just saying things such as they are proud of you as just a way to make them feel better (even though I know that this is not really the case.)  So, I strongly encourage all parents of seniors that are awaiting an admissions decision from a highly competitive college to consider taking a moment or two to sit down and write a letter to your son or daughter and give it to him or her ahead of their admissions decisions being announced.  They may not tell you, but I am confident it will make a difference to them.

No comments: