Thursday, April 25, 2013

WKHS Choir

Tonight was the last major choir concert at WKHS for the year and it was an incredible night!  I have to be honest, I always love the choir concerts.  They showcase the amazing talents of so many of our students and they also feature one of my favorite Kilbourne traditions - the processional performance of Come to the Water.  If you've never seen this entrance, it is truly magical and you should search for it on YouTube as there are several different performances of it available online.  (Although, I have to say, it isn't nearly as powerful as being there in person.)

Tonight's performance of Come to the Water was, by far, the most special that I have ever seen.  It was not just the top choirs singing this traditional song - the stage was PACKED with every member of the Kilbourne Choirs plus a ton of choir alumni who came to honor and celebrate the impact that Mr. Griffin has had in their lives.  I have to be honest, I cried.(a lot!)  It was powerful and emotional and incredibly moving.

Mr. Griffin has led the choir program since Kilbourne opened and the performance of Come to the Water at every concert was his creation.  Tonight also marked Mr. Griffin's final full choir concert as he plans on retiring at the end of this year.  As the alumni flooded onto the stage tonight I was in awe that so many former students from the last 22 years had found time on a random Thursday night in April to attend the concert.  It speaks volumes of the impact that he has had on so many lives - as did the hugs that his current students gave to him as they left the stage tonight.

It was a very special evening and I am so thankful that I have worked with Mr. Griffin and had the chance to get to know him and I wish him nothing but the best in his retirement.  Congratulations Mr. Griffin and all of the Kilbourne Choir members for an outstanding concert tonight!

No comments: