Monday, May 18, 2009

Articles of Interest

Recently I have read several interesting articles and I wanted to share two of them with you tonight.

The first article, "Lessons from a Plagiarist" deals not only with the fact that you should NOT plagiarize, but also with the importance of learning from your mistakes. I would love to say that I have never been faced with any of my students plagiarizing, but that simply wouldn't be true - English papers, History papers, and even Teacher Recommendation Letters (falsified by the students not by the teachers) - and yet students continue to try to take this "shortcut." If you have ever plagiarized a paper or not, this is definitely worthwhile reading.

The second article addreses another ethical related issue and that is regarding the use (and misuse) of internet sites for academic help. While this New York Times article is addressing the use among college students, the points made are applicable at any age.

I know that when you are stressed, feeling overwhelmed, and have too much to do that cheating can seem like an easy way out, but in all sincerity, it is never the answer!

No comments: