Wednesday, August 2, 2017

College Essay Workshop

For many students, writing your college essay is one of the most stressful aspects of the college application process.  In order to try to help better prepare my students I will be hosting a brief workshop for my interested senior students about writing your college essay.

The Essay Information and Brainstorming Workshop Session will take place on Thursday, August 10th at 1:00pm.

I tried to schedule the workshop around as many of the fall sports schedules as possible.  This workshop is just for senior students (and not parents) as it is the student's essay and your voice is what admissions officers want to hear!  This session is optional and is ideal for those students who will be applying to a 4-year college.  (Those who will be starting at a 2 year program like Columbus State will not have to write an essay so you will not need the information covered in this session.)

I am aware that there are some students and parents outside of my alphabet who also follow my blog (and I certainly appreciate it), but I have to say that this workshop is just for students in my assigned part of the alphabet as I am piloting the session to determine the level of interest before we would consider offering a similar session in future years for all seniors. 

If you are one of my students and are interested in participating, please RSVP using this link:  https://goo.gl/forms/x5gXEZBCGhi5l2zJ2

And it is definitely just not my students who are focusing on the essays right now.  Today I read this article by the New York Times Education and it is SPOT ON and exactly the reason why I am hoping the essay information and brainstorming session will be helpful to students.  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/education/edlife/college-application-essay-admissions.html

Additionally, this article resurfaced again today and I thought you might like it as well.  https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/professors-guide/2010/09/15/10-tips-for-writing-the-college-application-essay

Believe me, the essays are such a critical part of the application process that this won't be the only time I talk about it on my blog, but it is also a fun and creative opportunity to introduce yourself to the admissions officers and so it is worth the time you will put into making it a great essay.  I hope you will take time out of your schedule next week and join me for the workshop!

No comments: