Wednesday, July 12, 2017

College Visits

As summer continues, one of the great opportunities that students and parents have is to use your time to make visits to college campuses.  We are lucky that there are a great deal of colleges all within a short drive and each college that you have the opportunity to visit will help shape your view of what it is that you do (or do not) want in a college.  I strongly encourage you to see big schools, small schools, rural schools, urban schools, suburban schools - as much variety as you can get the better.  And no, it doesn't have to be just the colleges that you are seriously considering for the future - if you are near a campus either because you don't have anything going on here locally and so you decide to go make a visit at a local school or because you are on vacation and decide to visit a college in the area, all of it helps to provide you with a broader view of colleges that will make the process of evaluating your intended colleges easier.

Did you know that the WKHS Counselor website has tons of resources and information to help you on your visits?

Here is a link to the main college visit page:  http://www.wkhscounselors.com/index.php/college-visits

But once you are on that page, be sure to check out the sub-pages that are in the menu bar on the right side where you will find additional tips for making your visits and a lengthy list of questions that you can ask students and staff on the campus as well as ideas on things to reflect on yourself as you tour the campus.

Please be sure to take a picture of you somewhere on campus for me to have for the Oh The Places You'll Go board!

Also, I was thinking back on my trip to LA last year and my visits to the colleges that I had the chance to see and I was remembering how frustrated I was by some of the behaviors that I saw being displayed during the visits.  I wrote this post a year ago, but it warrants repeating... What NOT to do on Campus Tours

No comments: