Tuesday, August 23, 2011

And we're underway...

The first day of school was a success! Hopefully you loved all of your classes, found everything without a problem, enjoyed connecting with your friends, and are looking forward to a great year ahead.

I enjoyed having a chance to say hello to a lot of the freshman groups. It wasn’t a typical day, but I hope that you realized that even though WKHS is a big place, it is a welcoming place to learn and grow over the next 4 years.

Perhaps my favorite part of the day was watching the mentors as they interacted with their assigned freshman students. Whether it was assisting freshman to find their way to class, eating lunch with a lonely student, or paying attention to those who seemed left out, there is no doubt that your kindness and enthusiasm made a lasting impact.

The pep rally was a fun way to end the day. I particularly liked that the fall sports teams were gathered together on separate bleachers and the captains relay competition which took place.

I’d love to say that I was able to capture pictures of all of my freshman students or that I could add names to any of them, but that is far from true. Here are a few of the pictures that I did take today…

A group of freshman students aiming paintballs at targets.

3 freshman students scale the rock wall.

Mariah Minichello and Wasim Soomro on the high ropes course with their freshman group

Kaitlyn Bennett on the high ropes course with her group of freshman students

A group of freshman participate in one of the challenge activities.
A freshman, Iric, came to the rescue by climbing the rock wall to retrieve a "run-away" rope.
Grace Barker helping to lead the pep rally with my favorite Lobo in the picture too!The "orange" team of varsity team captains won the relay competition. There were at least 5 of "my" students on this team - Grace Barker, Jonathan Black, Keeler Callahan, Mariah Minichello and Meredith Schram.

No comments: